The Plain and Unnoticeable me is no More!! Chapter 2

Jimi de Medatanai Watashi wa,
Kyou de Owari ni Shimasu!!

Chapter 2:
"My Secret"



"Miss Elaine, are you all right?"

The only one who sought to approach me and looked me straight in the eye was Hubert, a faithful follower of His Highness the Prince and also a good friend of mine.  He is the son of the first Royal Court magician. He is the only one who has not been obsessed with Sandra and who also continues to associate with me in a neutral position. He heard Sandra's followers speak ill of her behind her back but knew that they were doing it falsely. Hubert was also upset when His Highness Prince Frederick started seeing Sandra, for he was already engaged to me. He once expressed his thoughts, but the Prince paid no attention to him and continued on his way with Sandra. Prince Frederick's actions were more than annoying to him, as he even requested his name to be removed from the list of the Prince aides. 
He stood on the sidelines as if patiently waiting for the outcome of all this, but as expected, he could no longer afford to be silent. Pushing aside Evan's hand that was still holding my head and moved his body in such a way that he was now standing right between Evan and me.  

"Please don't talk to me now. I beg you, Lord Hubert. Go back. You are still considered close to His Highness the Prince, as things stand, doing this could put you in a bad position."

Evan's hateful gaze still lingered on me, but Hubert didn't seem to care at all, helping me to stand up carefully. The way Evan had held me firmly to the ground put a lot of stress on my legs, making the pain in my ankle unbearable and making the task of standing even more difficult. 

"... Ngh! I'm very grateful to you, Lord Hubert. You may step aside now. I don't want you to get involved in this situation."

Hubert took a step back when he felt me push him away slightly, but he didn't move any more than that.  He stood right between Evan's body and mine, looking at me with eyes full of concern.

The pain was starting to make me dizzy.
Feeling the sweat pouring down my forehead, I stood back in my place, looking at where His Highness Prince Frederick was standing. I could no longer stay in this place, and with that thought in mind, I stubbornly encouraged myself to go on.

"You have turned pale after hearing all the truth about your vile acts and for the way your body trembles as you stand there, you look like a ghost. It's funny because I've always heard others say that about you. So transparent that I can see right through you."

Most people in this Kingdom have dark hair and dark brown eyes with a more than refined look. There are also extraordinary cases of dark blondes like Evan, or just blondes like Hubert. But the vast majority of people have dark hair. 
Mainly, it was the nobles who were more than obsessed with dark hair. In the past, when the territory was expanding thanks to the constant wars, more inhabitants began to arrive, and they had different shades of hair such as blonde or light brown. And this became one of the main reasons why they hated those colors. 

However, royalty continued to welcome brides from other Kingdoms to marry them to increase their political power, and even in the past, there have been kings with blonde hair. But despite that, the discrimination of the nobles did not change at all.
 
Sandra was the spitting image of that.
With beautiful wavy black hair and big brown eyes that perfectly adorned her face with long black eyelashes. Without a doubt, a beautiful woman. And then there was me. Instead oh inheriting the same dark blond shade from my mother, the princess of the neighboring Kingdom, pr the dark hair from my father, I ended up inheriting the platinum blond that belonged to my great-grandmother, as well as her same skin tone. A skin tone so white and pale. In addition to that, I also inherited the same color of eyes, rare blue indigo. 

In other words, I inherited everything from my great-grandmother and nothing from my parents. They used to say a lot that my great-grandmother was a beautiful princess who even used to be called a walking beauty. She married in the Kingdom of Alford, but she came from a distant country which is now was in ruins. But according to the same aristocrats of that country, my great-grandmother's appearance was not at all attractive. 

I never heard anyone call me directly a ghost or a spirit from a fallen country, but as my whole person is indeed pale in color, I knew that among the male community they always referred to me by those names. 
Even if they were to say that my appearance is a simple one that doesn't stand out too much, the only thing they could agree on was that the platinum blonde of my hair did stand out. But when it came to being in a place surrounded by many people, they could only conclude that my face was too plain. My eyebrows and eyelashes would glow, but if someone saw me from a distance, they would say there was simply nothing in my face. When they saw me, they could only see my big round blue indigo eyes. Which was perhaps why people were always strangely looking at me.

And it was not only my outward appearance that the prince was referring to but my whole person itself. I grew up in a house with old-fashioned ideas, receiving nothing but the teaching of my parental grandfather. For my grandfather, women should never stand out and should never face any man directly. My grandfather's lessons were more than strict and after receiving the news of my engagement, I tried to do my best from the sidelines. Everything I have done up to this point has been for His Highness Prince Frederick, supporting him and dressing modestly in his presence. If I were to compare myself to Sandra, who always dressed extravagantly and sought to show off her beautiful figure, I'd lose.
The prince or anyone close to him didn't seem to be aware of this, but it was mainly thanks to me that many people supported him to be the next king. 

After a year of being humiliated by my fiancé and still being overshadowed by Sandra, I don't know how much respect I have left for him. Perhaps by the time he realizes that, it will be too late. Maybe even the First Prince was more popular than he is now.

Besides, I have a big secret that I can't tell anyone. 
And my secret is that I reincarnated and still have memories of my past life. In my past life, I was a normal girl born into a Japanese family. Despite being a lower-middle-class person, with a little make-up, I could completely transform myself into another person, looking like someone from high society. I was a decent student whose hobby was to Cosplay. And one day, on my way home from a part-time job I got so I could finish paying for my costume, I died in an accident. And when I realized what happened, I was already in another world in the body of a newborn baby from the duke's house. 

From my perspective, Elaine is a beautiful girl. Or maybe nice and delicate is a better way to describe her? She has a small, oval face with big, blue indigo eyes. A small nose, perfect teeth, and sweet lips. Her white face that lacks from any imperfection with that well-cared-for hair of a shiny platinum blonde.
 
Every time I look at myself in the mirror, I can't help but think how good would I look now with those fantasy Cosplays I did when I lived in Japan. In fact, in this world were magicians lived, and the Knights used costumes that are usually designed withing anime or manga. I usually wear clothes that a noblewoman from the medieval era would wear. There have even been times when I thought that in this world it would be something quite acceptable if one day I decided to wear a costume of one of my favorite video game characters. 

But since Elaine's grandfather was a rather strict person, wearing makeup or feminine clothes was forbidden. Even though makeup was acceptable and liked by the grown woman in society, grandfather went so far as to forbid my late grandmother to wear makeup, making her attend parties without any makeup. Grandfather hates it when women dress up or wear makeup. That's why he forbade Elaine to wear it. If the opportunity ever arose, I would use all the makeup to fully exploit Elaine's beautiful appearance. 

And even Elaine's maternal grandmother sent a box of makeup which was popular in the Kingdom of Alford as a gift for her to practice with, as Elaine's social debut would be during the coming winter. I must admit that I was surprised by the quality of the cosmetics, reminding me of the ones I used to use when I lived in Japan.

I just wanted to put on all that makeup, and take a year off relaxing in the city while pretending to be a completely different person. 

Ah, damn. My ankle hurts so much that I feel like I'm gonna pass out any minute. But I still have to deal with the enemy in front of me... Ah, no. I have to deal with my fiancé and his group of friends.

[End of Chapter 2]


Comments

Post a Comment